Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Dreamed a Future War - a poem

{just to clarify, this is not an anti-war poem, it's an anti-hate poem. i think there is a bit of difference between the two. Not all wars are hateful and not all hate results in war. however, if a war is grounded in hate and anger instead of defending something good, I see weakness in that. That's what this poem is about.}

I dreamed a future war
And neither side was right
So what's the reason for?

Each party rests in pride
And wakes in fev'rish sweats
As peace gets pushed aside

So these two sides of hate
The scream to be heard first
And they're not going to wait

The rage begins to burn
The guns aim past the lines
While guns aim back in turn

The truth gets spun around
Its dizzy when it trips
Its trampled on the ground

With war, some claim to win
I'd say they just lost less
The victor's pain
Still leaves a stain
And leads to emptiness

7 comments:

  1. the fact that you just said "favy" is MY favy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but in actual reference to the end of the poem, I've found that people who claim to conquer things actually get conquered themselves. no one can conquer pride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the last stanza is the most powerful. "With war, some claim to win, I'd say they just lost less" is down-right quote worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I figure if two sides of an issue are scrapping and one side "wins," does that mean the "victor" is now better off?

    ReplyDelete